Saturday 28 May 2016

Oshawa Second Marsh
May 25th, 2016

Rachel Carson

“If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in.”     ~ Rachel Carson

Went to the marsh today. I usually take a quick shot on the way in to check my camera settings.

The shot looked nice... too nice in fact, because of the white balance setting the camera was on.















Although I liked the look of it, it's not what my eyes were seeing. So a quick settings change and the result is more realistic.















The first thing I spotted. Intriguing... but puzzling. What? Who? Why? Cool though.















A splash of green.

Dryad's Saddle fungus... one of my favourites.






























The inside view of an Ostrich Fern.


















Another of my favourites... Mayapple. Their umbrellas are wide open now, sheltering their lone blossoms.





















They're another of the spring ephemerals, so they'll soon be gone.



















Mushrooms under some greenery.














The main reason I went to the marsh today was to see the Ladyslippers, after a fellow nature lover tipped me off that they would be out.

















I love 'em. Their shaggy hair-do, their tiny rich-yellow slippers. The first ones I see each year always give me a lift. Spring springs eternal.


















They're not rare, but they're not common either, so seeing them is always a treat.





















Garlic Mustard is an invasive, but a pretty one en masse.
















Cones beneath a spruce. Will a seed or two get a start in life?















Mosquitoes quickly reminded me that I didn't have repellent on, so they cut my visit short. I did get to see my Ladyslippers though, so I was happy.

The Friends of Second Marsh web site...
A direct link to a map of the paths/trails in the marsh...

A link to a page that has my past posts re the marsh, in one place rather than scattered throughout this blog...

1 Comments:

At 31 May 2016 at 19:36 , Blogger Linda said...

Beautiful photos! Thank you so much for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...