Friday 6 June 2014

On the Path
June 5th, 2014


"Nature rejuvenates so quickly, so completely.  Though we often view ourselves otherwise, we are nature."

                                                     - Jeb Dickerson



It was coolish today... my kind of day. Not sure what this is, but it sure is pretty. Update: ID'd as Highbush Cranberry (aka American Cranberry)--thanks to Michael & John.




















Dame's Rocket (common names include Dame’s Violet, Night-scented Gilliflower, Summer Lilac, Sweet Rocket, Mother-of-the-Evening) is scattered in the ditches along the path. It's showing all its colors in this patch.
 















...but only pink here.
















The tree-tunnels are forming.
















We had a staring match for a minute or so, then he slipped into the woods.





















This year's crop of poison ivy is well on its way. If you're not familiar with it, look for the two leaves 'joined at the hip' with the third leaf on a short stem from the other two. I'm sure it's not the only plant that has this characteristic, but be safe and avoid them all.



















Some have a fresh batch of berries already.






















Some is in the early stage still, with reddish leaves.


I never tire of seeing & hearing geese fly over, honking as they shift formation. If I can, I always stop, watch and listen 'til they're out of sight.
















If I have a camera with me, I always snap a shot or two. It's a sight & sound we're lucky enough to encounter often in our area, though I notice most people don't even glance their way.














Dog-strangling Vine is an invasive, but a pretty one, with its small, wine-colored, star-shaped blossoms.

























It grows in dense stands, overwhelming many native plants. There's more on the path each year. The brown vines here are from last year's crop.
















It's in the Milkweed family, which I assume is why Monarch butterflies sometimes lay their eggs on its leaves. But since it's not Milkweed, the Monarch larvae all die when they eat the leaves.






The Black Locust trees are blooming.



















It's the only tree in our area that I know of that has vicious thorns.



















They're hard as rock and needle sharp. I found out the hard way last year.



Intriguing markings on this bared trunk... look a bit like fossils. Made by artistic wood borers?


















It's midnight. Better go to bed now before I turn into a pumpkin.


- fini -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...