Sunday 6 April 2014

Bond Head & Lynde Shores
April 4th, 2014

Spring is trying hard to take over the land but winter isn't giving up without a fight. Can't complain too much though, it is only April after all.

My weekly trips to Cobourg get me out. I stopped at Bond Head on the way home again last week. 
















The whiteness of the beach in the bay is from 1000s upon 1000s of broken and crushed zebra mussel shells--the scourge of the great lakes these days.



It was another cold day but you'll almost always find a few hardy souls enjoying the lake at Bond Head. There was a cold wind, as has been the norm for this year.














Waiting for a bite. Fishermen are especially hardy, patiently waiting for some action.












I love this--especially the window sticker. It had to be his SUV. He was the only fisherman there today.
















A Greater Scaup in the harbour. Back-lighting meant I lost most of the detail.













A Mute Swan checking the wind.
Lynde Shores Conservation Area

It was a drizzly day when I decided to head over to Lynde Shores to check for waterfowl. With spring migration picking up you're bound to see some.

When I stepped out of the car I heard a chorus of bird song. What a treat! Immediately I was glad I came, whether I got any good shots of not. There are so many sounds I love in nature, and a bird chorus is definitely one of them.

There were two pair of Trumpeter Swans by the bridge.














Males guard their ladies well. Swans aren't a bird you want to tangle with.


















"Enough pictures--go home and leave us alone. "















I seldom go to LS without taking a shot or two of the boardwalk. I like paths, etc. that recede into the shot. Different seasons offer different views.

A Hooded Merganser--another of my favourites. Looks like they get their hair done in a French coiffure.
The buzzing trill of Red-wing Blackbirds is another beautiful sound. There were dozens there today. The flocks haven't dispersed yet.















There were several Buffleheads there too.













Whitby Harbour Area

On a whim I swung by Whitby Harbour on the way home. The strong winds were whipping up some pretty good waves.













A raft of Buffleheads out on the lake.













Trying to keep warm.












On the path I walk... a shot that's hard for a photographer to resist. A red coat, a red canoe--a classic shot.













Turkey Vultures are back in numbers now. The way they soar and glide is a treat to watch. They always look to me as if they're just enjoying the day--even though most of the time I expect they're looking for a snack. A crystal clear blue sky as a backdrop adds a beautiful touch.














 
Cropped for a little closer look.















I'd never heard of anything like this before. This was posted in the lobby of a hospital in St. Catharines.
 

It's great to be getting out more often now that the weather is finally warming up--a little. With the migration underway and wildflowers soon to sprout, there'll be a lot more reason to get out in nature.

I can't wait.


- fini -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...