Sunday 10 November 2013

Oshawa Second Marsh
November 3rd, 2013

I try to make it to the marsh at least once  a month to see the changes, but I missed October some how. It's an old refrain, but oh so true... the weeks slip by way too quickly.

It can't be called a vernal pool since Spring is long gone, so I guess that makes this an autumnal pool. It'll turn to ice soon if it doesn't evaporate.
















It's the time of year when the Chickadees & Nuthatches follow you along the boardwalk in Ghost Woods looking for handouts. Through the summer months they find food elsewhere.

They can't help but bring a smile to your face as they land on your outstretched hand and gently pick up a seed or two. What's with Nuthatches anyway? They spend half their lives upside down on tree trunks. How comfortable can that be?




















They have the habit of grabbing a seed, then flying to a spot several yards away to eat it, so you have to try for a shot before you offer the seeds.
















I'm back. Do you have more seeds?


















Fall is definitely the time of year to look for fungus/mushrooms. They seem to pop up overnight in some locations.





























"Worm/larvae tracks" for lack of a better term. They stand out on fallen logs, though they're obviously under the bark of many living trees.
 













The late stage of Horsetail--what I call the "bottle-brush" stage. Unless you've watched a patch of them develop over the months, it'd be hard to guess that they start off looking like the shot below this one.


































When you see a bunch of them on the forest floor, they look like an army of invading spiders.














Turkey Tail fungus































A Wild Cucumber pod and its twisted curlicues.




















This time of year it's easy to see the extent of wild cucumbers in the marsh. They almost cover the bottom section of these trees.














Judging by its pale colors, this male Mallard is close to finishing its moult. For about two weeks they can't fly as they renew their feathers for the next stage in their lives, so they have to hide out amongst the reeds, etc. to avoid predators until the moult is finished.


















I was curious to see what color was in the marsh at this late date. The only plants still showing a bloom or two (that I saw) were this Golden Rod...














a few New England Asters...
















And of course some Dandelions. These three species were all on the berm where they get lots of sun. As you get closer to the lake you see a few more, presumably due to the moderating effect of the lake. Which one will outlast the others? I probably won't be there to see the winner but I'd bet on the Dandelion.








































Grasses sometimes catch my eye, especially when they go to seed. I find it difficult to get a shot that captures what I see though. I'm fairly happy with this one.

















I don't remember noticing galls having a 'fall color' before.
























There isn't much red in the marsh so when you see it, it stands out. This is Dogwood I believe.














Despite it's beauty and variety, you really don't see many people in the marsh. The most I've ever seen is maybe 10 or so, and when you see that many, most of them are usually fishermen. These two were just enjoying the day.














It's common to see leaves stuck to a fungus but this one was seemingly 'eaten' by this fungus. I can only guess that it landed on the fungus in the early stage of its growth. Some fungi are sticky in their early stages.
















I've shot this one for a couple months now. It obviously has a longer life than most.














The invasive Dog-Strangling Vine, a close cousin of Milkweed, which is why Monarch butterflies will sometimes mistakenly lay their eggs on its leaves. If they do, the larvae die.




















Red Oak leaves



















Late afternoon light.



















There's a spot, close to where I usually enter the marsh, where I've seen Whitetails a couple times over the years, so I always glance at it as I enter or leave the marsh. I seldom see anything but trees, but today I looked up as I was almost back to the car, and was a bit startled when I saw this doe staring back at me.

She was far enough away (75 yards/meters) that I thought she might stay for a bit. I slowly raised my camera but only got two shots before she bounded off into the woods, flashing her white tail. It was only then that I saw a second white tail-flash and realized there were two of them. If I'd been more observant maybe the other would have offered a better shot. Or not. Maybe it wasn't even visible from where I was.

It's always a special treat for me when I do see a deer, because I so seldom do, and I think they're such beautiful creatures.


















Another great day in nature.

- fini -

The Friends of Second Marsh web site...
A direct link to a map of the paths/trails in the marsh...

A link to a page that has my past posts re the marsh, in one place rather than scattered throughout this blog...


Search my Blog...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...