Sunday 30 October 2011

2nd Marsh -- October 23rd, 2011

These are from a week ago. Fall marches on. I haven't been lucky enough to capture any birds or animals for quite a while but the Chickadees are back to eating out of your hand (after pretty much ignoring people for the summer) so maybe I'll try for them on my next visit.

Today turned out to be a fungus day... lots of them.



























Turkey Tails are very common in our part of the world.


















I don't know the names of many of them. There are just too many.
























There are always some geese at the marsh.
 
















The trees at the marsh have lost most of their leaves. I assume it's the lake-effect since the marsh borders Lake Ontario. The trees closer to home still have lots of leaves.

The boardwalk in Ghost Road bush.
























The bees don't have many wildflowers to visit now.



















More Turkey Tails.



















These almost look like berries.




















This was a surprise to me. I saw a few Monarchs. They may have waited too long I think to leave for Mexico.





























I've seen this fungus in a couple spots this year.
























A red berry has found a snug home in this one.
















The tiniest fungus I've come across... the top is about the size of a pea.
























Gold is gorgeous, especially in bunches like this.


























These have to be the last of the Himalayan Balsam at the marsh.
























Moss on a jet-black log, along with some black fungus, that I've noticed is common on fallen Birch trees.






















You have to look closely to spot any green at the Beaver Pond.
















The Wild Cucumber seed pods are back, complete with curlicues.


Yet more fungi... but they do have a certain appeal don't you think?
























I don't remember seeing this type of bee before but have noticed quite a few of them at the marsh this year. 

Notice the little green guy peeking over the top edge of the blossom, as though he's checking out the bee's attitude before he ventures further. The "bee" on the left blossom is a Bee Mimic, the one on the right blossom is a Micro Bee. Thanks John.
 






















Fall is my favourite season. I only wish it lasted longer.



The Friends of Second Marsh web site... 

http://secondmarsh.science.uoit.ca/

A direct link to a map of the paths/trails in the marsh...
http://secondmarsh.science.uoit.ca/Recreation_Map.html



A link to a page that has my past posts re the marsh, in one place rather than scattered throughout this blog...
http://rgbell.ca/2/

- fini -

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...